What is a travel system?
Travel systems make buying everything for your baby’s transport needs easy. They are often the best value when buying your infant car seat and first pushchair together.
A travel system comprises a base chassis, to which you can add interchangeable pieces: a carrycot, infant car seat, or seat.
Travel system packages can also include accessories such as a matching changing bag, rain cover or a car seat fixed base.
Package systems: options do vary so double check what’s included in each package.
2-in-1 travel systems – Usually include the pushchair and the car seat within the package. Some offer the chassis and the front or rearward-facing chair.
3-in-1 pram and pushchairs – A 3-in-1 travel system, in addition to the pushchair (and any car seat package) will also include a lie-flat carrycot.
Which travel system is right for you?
Deciding your budget will help you narrow down the choice, so will deciding where and how you will use your pushchair – for example, whether to choose a three-wheeler or more narrow body pushchair. For multi-purpose use, a normal pushchair with swivel and lockable wheels makes a versatile choice.
If you travel a lot by car, then it’s worth choosing a package with an infant carrier car seat included within the price.
How much will a travel system cost?
The price varies between 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 packages. There are excellent, well established brands that offer full 3-in-1 travel systems for as little as £150. Graco and Hauck are good value favourites. Top end brands such as iCandy, SilverCross or Bugaboo cost considerably more.
Top tips for buying a travel system
You don’t have to buy all of your products from one brand. Many infant carriers will fit onto several chassis’. Just check with manufacturers, or in-store.
Lockable front wheels are a real bonus over uneven terrain if you don’t want a full off-road pushchair.
Accessories: You can buy universal rain covers or sun covers and parasols at a fraction of the cost of own-brand.
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular travel systems below.
Quinny Buzz Xtra
RRP: £450 - Buy now
The Quinny Buzz Xtra travel system is a nifty pushchair with a robust chassis and all terrain wheels, allowing you and your little one to happily roam across town and countryside.
- Travel system option with Quinny Foldable Carrycot and compatible with Maxi-Cosi baby car seat
- Multiple recline positions - 3 forward and 2 rearward-facing
- Front and rear wheel suspension and lockable front swivel wheel
- Adjustable footrest and height adjustable handlebar
Age: Birth to 3 years/15kg
Folded: L85cm x W64cm x H31cm
Why we love the Quinny Buzz Xtra ....
- Nicknamed the ‘bold explorer’, this buggy is great for venturing across all terrains
- Birth inlay provides a super cosy, lie-flat environment.
- Great suspension means a smooth ride for your tot
- We’re loving the adjustable handlebar – ideal for tall and short!
- The extra large sun canopy is a must
- The large shopping basket is perfect for that hefty changing bag and shopping too!
Silver Cross Wayfarer
RRP: £645 - Buy now
Ideal for zipping around city streets, this lightweight pram and pushchair combo is super light and manoeuvrable. Available in a range of fab colours, it comes with a decent-sized shopping basket too
- Three-in-one combo with separate carrycot, seat unit and additional car seat (buy separately)
- The seat reclines into three positions - forward or facing you!
- Height adjustable handle
- Folds down as one compact unit with the seat unit attached
Age: Birth to toddler
Weight - chassis: 6.5kg / body: 3.5kg / carrycot: 4.5kg
L94cm x W53.5cm x H100-107cm
Folded: L84cm x W53.5cm x H33.5cm
Why we love the Silver Cross Wayfarer ....
- We love the cosy lie-flat carrycot – your little one can sleep on the move and at home for naps and occasional overnight sleeps too
- It folds up fast for easy carrying and compact storage
- It’s easy to convert into a travel system - just buy the group 0+ Simplicity car seat
- Four-way suspension for a beautifully smooth ride – nice!
Bugaboo Cameleon 3
RRP: £890 - Buy now
The Cameleon 3 is the next generation of the legendary Bugaboo Cameleon – not just highly stylish, but faster and more user-friendly too.
- Reversible, 3-position tilting seat
- Easy, unfold mechanism
- Padded adjustable harness
- Height adjustable handlebar
- 2-wheel position for sand and snow
- Adaptable for various car seats
- Easy-release carrycot
- Big sun canopy and sizeable under-seat bag
- 5-point harness with adjustable shoulder straps
Age: Suitable from birth - 17kg
L90cm x W60cm x H31cm
Folded: L90cm x W50cm x H31cm
Why we love the Bugaboo Cameleon 3...
- We love this rather elegant new look
- That super quick unfold mechanism will come in handy when your wriggly baby’s raring to go!
- Built almost entirely with newly designed parts this multi-terrain Cameleon3 is sturdier than previous models
- It folds up small – luxury!
Mamas and Papas Armadillo
RRP: £249 - Buy now
A lightweight pushchair that folds up fast and converts into a travel system too.
- Suitable from birth – just click a compatible car seat into place (buy separately)
- Comfy, roomy seat
- Nice big hood (UPF 50+) offers great sun protection
- Big shopping basket – perfect for all that baby stuff
- Peek-a-boo window in hood
Age: Birth to 15kg
L92cm x W55cm x H100cm
12cm x 22cm x 28cm
Why we love the Mamas and Papas Armadillo ....
- this is easy to use – you can convert your pushchair into a nice, neat structure faster than you can say ‘stop wriggling!’
- the lovely big seat give your little adventurer lots of wiggle room
- we love the peek-a-boo window for quick checks and silly games too!