What is an i-Size car seat?
i-size car seats provide highly stringent safety performance by demanding 5 key things:
- improved protection at higher forces for side and front impact and a much better protection of your child’s head and neck
- children have to face backwards until they’re 15 months
- i-Size promotes IsoFix (attaches to your car chassis), which has less chance of being incorrectly fitted than belted car seats
- i-Size car seats will fit most cars with IsoFix anchors
- i-Size uses the child's height/length to determine if the seat fits the child, rather than their weight. This is because we all tend to know our child's height better than their weight.
There’s quite a lot of crossover between the various car seat groups described and it’s not always easy to choose the best seat or know when to move up a group.
With the i-Size regulations, your baby has to face backwards until they’re 15-months-old. The new length and age classification makes it easier for parents to check that their child is ready to be moved to the next group of car seat.
Which i-Size car seat is right for you?
There are many models on the market, but Joie is a good brand. Joie is a UK group of friends and parents with one simple mission: to share joy with new parents worldwide.
The i-Gemm is Joie’s first infant seat with i-Size ECE R129 certification when used with the Joie i-Base advance™.
Or the the i-Anchor Advance meets i-Size required rearward facing travel up to 15 months and exceeds i-Size requirements allowing rearward travel up to approximately 4 years which is wanted by more parents today.
But of course, more and more great i-size car seat products are becoming available now, so keep your eyes peeled for the usual gems - a good safe harness, comfy padding, adjustability, removable covers and seats that recline.
How much will an i-Size car seat cost?
Prices start around £130.
Top tips for buying an i-size car seat
To help you identify the new i-Size products just look for this easy to recognise icon:
Ready to buy?
Take a look at some of the popular i-Size car seats below.
Designed and engineered to protect your newest arrival from birth. Meeting the latest i-Size standard, your little one will travel in style and security from day one.
- This car seat meets the new i-size ECE R129 standard requirements when used with the the i-base advance (sold separately).
- The seat has three layers of security in the headrest.
- Also has patented Intelli-Fit foam for side impact protection.
- Multi-position, ergonomic carry handle with soft grip section.
- Removable fully body insert and head support.
- This seat also has removable shoulder harness and lower buckle covers.
Age: birth - 13kg (approx. 15 months)
Product weight: 4.85kg
Dimensions: L66 x W43.5 x H58.5cm
Certification: R129 i-Size
Why we love the i-Gemm....
- This car seat is designed for ultimate comfort and complete protection for your baby while in the car.
- We adore the great design of this car seat and its smart look.
- Everything about this car seat says safety with it meeting the latest i-Size requirements, and the added layers of security in the headrest.
- The handle is probably our favourite bit: it has multiple positions for easier carrying and has a soft grip section to make it comfortable when carrying it.
- Loving the removable full body insert and head support so as your baby grows, you can make the seat more roomy for him.
- The removable shoulder harness and lower buckle covers give your baby extra comfort, while always being safe, as they grow.
Joie i-Anchor Advance 0+/1 including i-Base Advance
UK Government certified i-Size child seat the i-Anchor Advance is suitable from birth, provides rearward or forward installation up to approximately 4 years.
- Requires the i-Base Advance (sold separately) for installation.
- 7 on-the-go recline positions.
- One pull motion easily tightens the 5 point harness.
- 5 point harness with shoulder and lower buckle covers.
- Grow-with-me customisable infant support offers additional side impact protection.
Age: Suitable from birth (0+ months) up to 4 years
Rearward facing: 40cm–105cm, less than 18.5kg (birth to approx. 4 years)
Forward facing: 80cm–105cm, less than 18.5kg (15 months to approx. 4 years)
Why we love the i-Anchor Advance 0+/1....
- We love that this car seat has the potential to last you from birth to approximately 4 years old which makes it great value for money.
- We adore the comfort factor of this seat as it has 7 potential recline positions.
- Everything about this car seat has safety in mind including its 5-point harness with shoulder and lower buckle covers.
- Loving that the seat includes customisable infant support for additional impact protection.
Maxi-Cosi Axiss swivel seat
A 9-months-to-four-years car seat which has a 90° degree swivel base for ease of use
- Simultaneous hardness and headrest adjustment
- Colour indicator shows seat is correctly locked in place
- Fits in place with car's three-point seatbelt
- Covers are removable and washable
Age: 9 months to 4 years, or 9kg to 18kg
Product weight Weight: 13.8kg
Dimensions: H63.5cm x W43.5cm x D64cm
Fitting: Seat belt
Why we love the Maxi-Cosi Axiss swivel seat...
- Swivel seat makes getting baby in out of the car mega easy, so great for parents with back or mobility probs
- Eight different reclining positions lets baby snooze in comfort
- An indicator shows you have locked the seat correctly in place, so no worries about it suddenly swivelling in transit
- It comes in lots of fab colour-ways and funky prints, too